Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 19: Killed anyone lately?

*Type. Type. Type. Type type type typetypetypetypetype.*

“Cathy?”

*Type type type*

“Yes.”

*Type type type*

“My story’s running out of emotion. There’s no heartache, no crisis. They say you need to make your readers cry and I just don’t know how to do that.”

*sigh*

“Who says so?”

“I don’t know, experts, professionals.”

“Whatever Natalie. Have you killed anyone lately?”

“What!”

*sigh*

“In your story…” *Type Type* “Have you killed anyone off yet?”

“No, why would I kill someone? That would be terrible.”

“Exactly. You want drama and tears; throw in a good death scene. If you really want to traumatize your readers make it one of your main characters. Someone they’ll like.”

“But I need my main characters. What would I do without them?”

“Well if you have to you can kill a really good secondary character or make everyone think you killed the character and then have them be faking it.”

“Faking it I might be able to do. I don’t know if I could really kill one of them.”

“Your choice, but if you really want to add emotion a true death scene is the way to go. I mean you can get good effect with mortal peril or emotional trauma, but death is the ultimate emotional trigger.”

“Really? How many are you killing in your book?”

“If I told you I’d have to add you to the list.”

*TypeTypeType*

“Oh…”

*Typetypetypetype*

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

So, have you killed anyone yet?

I haven’t but I did just realize that one of my characters has to die. I mean I had always planned on killing one of them but until now I didn’t know who. Now I do and it’s making me kind a sad. I can’t see a way around it though so I’m just going to have to have my cry and do it anyway.

Do you have problems writing characters that you know are going to die? I can’t quite bring myself to write him now that I know, roughly, how his story ends.

Love to hear your thoughts,
~Rita

NaNoWriMo Day 19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the language clean, thank you!

Popular Posts