Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 14: My Keyboard for a Word!

I need a word; Just one word to give me a start. Not just any word, a word that will give me direction, an idea. I’m grasping at straws, scrambling for something to say. I just need one word, why is that so hard?

The dictionary is filled with words, I could write about any of them, in theory at least. In the practical sense a post on shellfish isn’t going to motivate very many writers out there.

I could write about procrastination, I’m very familiar with that topic. But if I did that I might never get this done; particularly if I decided to do more research on the subject.

Inspiration, now that’s a nice word. I could use that. I could write all about inspiration. But now that I think, it’s a rather broad topic and one I’m not very up to date on.

I want a good word, the perfect word, to build this post around. I want it to be just right; I want it to be special.

Something inspiring, something worth your time. Poetic, vibrant, alive. All I need is that one word, I’m sure of it!

Oh, a word, a word, my keyboard for a word!


I’ve sat for some time, searching for that word, trying to find the right thing to say. I’ve strayed from prose and bordered on poetry, and bad stuff at that. I’ve wasted my time, looking for the perfect word. Perhaps I should have just written whatever came into my head, perhaps something would have worked its way out then.

But look, it seems I have! I’ve written something after all. It’s not very good, it’s not very long. It doesn’t have that perfect word in it at all. But it’s something I’ve done! It’s all my own: Its words, little unimportant words, saying what I need to say all along.

Words needn’t be perfect; they needn’t be strong or glamorous, words need but to be written, short or long. They just need to be there, all across the page. That’s the real trick: just write them all down, they’ll likely surprise you, as they did me.

~Rita

Day 14 of NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the language clean, thank you!

Popular Posts